The nipple is the small projection located in the center of the breast, and the areola is the pigmented region around the nipple. The Nipple Areola Complex or NAC has a central role in breast aesthetics. The size, shape, location, positioning and direction vary from person to person, which makes this surgery customizable to each individual.
Sometimes correcting large nipples, puffy areolas or correcting both is all a patient needs to improve the appearance of the breasts. These are actually very common occurrences in both women and men, and can appear on one or both sides. These conditions can be due to genetics, hormones, aging or trauma. Patients may decide to undergo this surgery because they feel self-conscious, while others require the procedure for medical reasons such as difficulty breastfeeding.
- Areola reduction surgery reduces the size of the dark pigmented skin around the nipple.
- Areola reduction can also remove puffiness and make the nipple stand out less.
- The procedure takes between 1 and 2 hours.
- Dissolvable sutures are mostly used to close incisions around the nipple.
- You will need to wear a support bra for 3 weeks following surgery.
- You will see a difference in your areola size and shape immediately following surgery.
Bra Size Calculator
To calculate your bra size, please enter your bust and underbust measurements below.
Bra Size Measurement
STEP 1: OVER-BUST SIZE
Measure completely around the bust at the fullest point. Hold the tape tight against the back but not too tight in the front.
STEP 2: UNDER-BUST SIZE
Using a soft tape, measure around the rib cage directly under the bust. The tape should be held tight, edge to edge with no space between it and your body.
Before & After
Schedule your appointment
Frequently asked questions
Patients with large areolas (the darkly pigmented skin surrounding the nipple and distinct from the surrounding lighter breast skin) seek this procedure
An Areola Reduction is performed by removing the extra, darkly pigmented areolar skin. First a smaller circle (new areola size) is drawn around the nipple. Then another circle is drawn around the edge of the existing areola. The excess areolar skin that is between the inner and outer circles is then removed. A permanent, Interlocking Goretex Suture is finally used to bring the edges of the wound together.
- Nipple Shape & Size: Removal of skin strategically around and within the areola area allows for alterations to appearance and positioning.
- Mommy Makeover: Changes to the appearance of the areola during pregnancy and breastfeeding can create an undesirable appearance which can be corrected through a reduction procedure.
The ideal candidate for an areola reduction is seeking to correct the appearance of the areola for cosmetic reasons. An Areola Reduction is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or those seeking corrections to large nipples or nipple inversion.
The results of an areola reduction are permanent enhancements to the areola appearance. The results will finalize within one year as the body heals. The results will be affected by weight gain, pregnancy, and breastfeeding.